Unite with your brothers in arms for this holy war. Richard Lionheart and the Angevine have joined with knights from The Holy Roman Empire to try and conquer the city of Jerusalem and retake the holy land from Saladin’s Ayyubid dynasty and the Turkomans.
Fight for control over the cities and deserts of Palestine. Plan out your actions alongside your ally before turning against them and take the victory for yourself. Send out cavalry and siege engines to battle your enemies, but be aware of their need for water. You don’t want your army to die of thirst before they even clash with the enemy.
In Third Crusade, you play as an Army of either the Muslim or Crusader Alliance during the early 1190s. Your goal is to accumulate Glory through conquering and controlling Regions and defeating enemy Armies.
Sequence of play - Third Crusade is played over 3 years, divided into 4 rounds. Each round has 5 phases.
1. Strategy phase: Players strategically place Event Cards on the Bidding Board and choose cards for their opponents. Their choices will affect how many command points they get to spend on executing Orders.
2. Planning phase: Players alternate placing Orders until all players have passed.
3. Command phase: Players alternate activating an Event Card or an Order. Players Battle their opponents by trying to conquer each other's Regions, gaining Glory based on how well they succeed.
4. Diplomacy phase: Players bid for rewards on the Diplomacy Card and Board.
5. Upkeep phase: Players gain Glory and different resources.
If at any point during the game, an Alliance reaches 10 Glory points, the game is over.